Thursday, April 11, 2013

Midterms


I had my first midterm exam last week in my Cultural Psychology course. I didn’t know what to expect going into the exam, so I read through the textbook, looked over my notes, and made a study guide—my modus operandi for exams at Hamilton. I felt confident after studying, despite my dislike for the structure of the test (40 multiple-choice questions; no short answers or essays).

There are 250 students in this course, something I am unfamiliar with coming from a school that doesn't  allow class enrollment to exceed 40. There are no attendance or participation requirements and the professor doesn’t know anyone’s name. The only grades for the course are two midterms and a final. This is not my ideal kind of class and I don’t think this style is particularly conducive to effective learning; however, I understand that big universities have to offer large lecture-style classes like these.  

The exam itself brought back so many memories of standardized tests in high school: there were proctors who patrolled the room, scanning for signs of cheating, we had to fill out our answers on an optical answer sheet to be run through an electronic reader, and we were required to sit three seats apart from everyone else. At Hamilton, we have an honor code, so professors simply hand out the exams and leave the room for the duration of the test.

Many of the questions on the test, in my opinion, were pretty stupid. A lot of questions were overly specific, just to make sure that the students who didn’t go to class would get them wrong. The problem, however, is that any sensible student who actually went to class wouldn’t have written down those pieces of information since they weren’t useful concepts, facts, or ideas. Furthermore, some questions were vague and ambiguous, others were not worded well, and others asked about issues that are not relevant to the core objective and focus of the class. Needless to say, I was frustrated by the exam.

The psych department released the results of the exam yesterday; they posted all the grades adjacent to people’s corresponding student ID numbers. I got an 83, which I would usually be quite unhappy with, but after looking at the other scores I didn’t feel as bad: the average was a 64 and only one person scored above a 90. What kind of a midterm has a failing grade as the average? Even more disconcerting is the fact that this exam was worth a third of our overall grade.

The strangest part of the whole exam experience, though, was today in class. Our professor read, in front of the entire class, the full name of the student and his or her exam grade for everyone who scored above a 75. After she read each name, she looked around the room and expected the student to acknowledge him or herself, whereupon she individually congratulated and thanked the student. It was so bizarre, and in my view, a terrible thing to do. When she called my name, I didn’t raise my hand; I did not want to be thanked for getting a B- on an exam, as if I was somehow better than any of the other students in the class.

In case you couldn’t tell, I am not happy with this course’s assessment method. I’m not concerned about my own grade, since it won’t appear on my transcript at Hamilton, but I think this exam was poorly thought out, written, and administered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment