Monday, May 13, 2013

Excursion Day 4

I apologize for my short blog-writing hiatus; I was in Cyprus and didn’t have time to finish up the descriptions of my excursion. Anyway, more on Cyprus later and now back to the excursion.

 ***

After spending the night in a complex of mountain bungalows, we woke early for a morning hike in the surrounding farmland. We walked through cow pastures and past sheepherders on our way to the top of the nearest big hill. It was a gray day, which made the green grass stick out against the surrounding snow-capped mountains. 



It was extremely windy and quite cold, so I was lucky I brought my winter coat and hat with me. The sky seemed to be threatening rain as we walked farther away from the warmth of our bungalows. About half way up the hill, instead of rain as I expected, the wind swept a sheet of snow in our direction. Fortunately, the snow passed as quickly as it came, but it left the right side of my face raw with cold. 
That mist is actually a cloud of snow
Despite the blustering wind and frigid temperature, I enjoyed ambling amongst the rolling hills and pastures. In case you couldn’t tell already, I’m a real sucker for picturesque mountains and I love being outdoors, so there’s little I enjoy more than taking a walk in a rural area encircled by white peaks.

When we reached the crest of the hill, the sun peaked around the clouds to afford us a moment of warmth and add to the pastoral beauty of the area. After returning back to our bungalows, we hopped in the bus for a short drive to a kebab restaurant for lunch--I had a lamb kebab that was to die for. The rest of our day was spent in the bus, traveling to our next destination. 


No comments:

Post a Comment